Wednesday 2 December 2020

Dorset - The Fleet - Hen Harrier in a Hurry!

I returned to The Fleet today in search of White-fronted Geese. Kent and Sussex have recently had a good return of this species. There is also a flock in Surrey at the moment. Wow! I have been told some some good parking spots allowing good coverage of the East Fleet without crossing swords with the Farmer of Dusky Warbler fame!

The drake Velvet Scoter put in a good appearance along with a female Common Scoter, a Slavonian Grebe (3 reported today) and numerous Brent Geese. I noted a couple of likely candidates for the Pale- bellied hrota race from Greenland and a likely Black Brant which is the North American version nigricans. I noted the broad neck patch with white flanks but was there enough blackish in the upper-parts. The majority as expected were Dark-bellied bernicla from Russia.

News of a large gathering of geese at Rodden Hive with some Barnacle Geese thrown into the mix had me venturing into the West Fleet for the first time. After some maneuvering and help from the local people I had parked up as was making my way towards and over the ridge to the viewing corner. The Fleet was loaded with Wigeon and Pintail and other wildfowl. The mass of geese were grazing in the field and included Barnacle (three dots middle bottom of picture), Canada and masses of Brent Geese.

Red-legged Partridge were heard “kaking” from behind the trees. Little did I know at the time these birds were going to prove their worth later on in the afternoon! But before that came the mizzle type rain which had me turning tail only to turn back again as it stopped as I had reached half way point up the hill!

I worked my way through the wildfowl just in case there was something else secreted within the masses and as the light was beginning to fade I trudged up the hill. The silence was broken by panic in the field to my left screaming partridges and pheasant who had ventured out of cover to feed were now scrambling to reach cover! I looked to the skies and an interesting Harrier honed into view to my left.

The bird did not seem that interested in a meal as it headed across the field. I noted key features to firstly age then identify the species BRC style! Ok a Monties or a Pallid was extremely unlikely but this is how we were trained as raptors piled over the stations in Batumi Rep of Georgia. The bird was an adult male Hen Harrier with broad black band through the outer primaries and overall grey appearance with a white tail-band. I even counted the five fingers!

In what seemed like a flash in time the bird had gone over the ridge. I made my way to the top and hung around for a while just in-case the Harrier had changed its priorities from roost to meal! It did seem to be on a mission to get somewhere in a hurry leaving me wondering if this bird had just found our shores!

The only slight disappointment (if that's possible here!) was this species is not a description species in Dorset but Black Brant is so does this trump the Harrier! But it was a nice bonus to end the day on. Thanks Brett for the information on the species distribution within the county!

No comments:

Post a Comment