Thursday 29 December 2022

Dorset - Bardolf Farm Puddletown Water Meadows - Pair of Pintail!

My Bardolf Farm yearlist stands at 99 species and time is rapidly running out to find that additional species. Listing is a small part of my ornithological journey but it provides the extra incentive to get out in the field on days where the conditions are not ideal. For the past two years White Fronted Goose has found its way onto the list and I have been hopeful to add this species without success. I guess the mild weather has prevented the usual influx to the West of the country.

The water meadows are flooded with water spilling onto some of the tracks. This is good news for the wildfowl with Wigeon numbers on the increase. I had my highest count of Lapwing today 578, Wigeon 391 and Teal 80. The Canada geese were scattered over the flooded fields but were down considerably on recent counts.

A pair of Pintail was also present with the Wigeon both generally staying apart from each other. This species is not common on the Farm therefore Hugo joined me to view the pair and an interesting Wigeon I had spied in the scope.

The bird had a distinct green band behind the eye extending to the back of the head, the crown stripe was off cream with dark rufous brown cheeks. The bird was obvious within the Wigeon flock and is likely to be a hybrid (Chiloe or American x Eurasian??)! I attempted some dot shots but will need to review the pictures! On the subject of hybrids the Swan x Greylag Goose was still present at Athelhampton.

There is more rain to arrive overnight which could wash tomorrow out. A switch to training mode looks to be in order and could result in some dry afternoon time to bag the 100th species! But nothing is guaranteed!

No comments:

Post a Comment