Saturday 17 December 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows and Athelhampton - The Godwit Files!

I spent the morning sitting around waiting for a pitch inspection which not surprisingly resulted in the Dorset Premier League game in Weymouth being called off due to a frozen pitch! There was no time to waste as I jumped into action and made my way down to the gate at Cattlecrush to see what had arrived overnight!

The Black tailed Godwit had increased in ranks with a final total of 24 birds feeding along the meadows. This was another record count for the farm! Mid afternoon a group of godwits flew east, and were re-located on the flooded meadows at Athelhampton. This was extremely handy for me as I had a chance of improving on my stack of dot shots. Probably the only down side to the water meadows that everything is so far away!

At Athelhampton I sifted through the Snipe in the hope of finding a Jack but they tend to sit tight unless you tread on one so it was not meant to be. I am certain they are out there somewhere! 

There were more Shoveler (9) today and Teal (161+56 at Athelhampton) and Canada Goose (440) numbers were up on yesterday. 

It is warming up tomorrow but with that comes rain. Hugo has stated the Lapwing will return in the milder conditions and who knows what might be with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment