Friday 16 December 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Many More of The Same!

With every cold icy day that passes more wildfowl are finding their way onto the water meadows. I started my rounds noting new arrivals in Shoveler (2 pairs) and a pair of Gadwall. I checked Athelhampton for the previous days Godwit but it could not be found. I returned to the other side of the water meadows to view the pools from the gate at Cattlecrush. The sun was beaming away directly in front of me which was nice being able to keep warm but viewing was very tricky!

I did however notice a group of four Black tailed Godwit feeding in a small channel. This number grew as more birds came into view and the sun eventually passed over the meadows disappearing behind the trees! I had been in contact with Hugo earlier but phoned again when I had established that there were 19 birds thanks to a lively Lapwing that had flushed a further group feeding out of sight.

The flock settled together before the Lapwing rallied some support and headed straight for them. The flock scattered but they were determined to stay in the area splitting into several groups. This seemed to quell the interest from the Lapwing and tranquility was restored to the meadows. Hugo joined me to witness the 5th record (including yesterday’s bird!) and largest count of this species on Bardolf Farm!

I contacted Roger who covers Briantspuddle who informed me that his flock of 16 Godwits were not present today but 100 Snipe were! Briantspuddle is a few miles ESE of Puddletown and therefore likely that the flock had re settled here. The Godwits seemed content with the menu at the water meadows!

There is another frost due tonight and then the weather changes to rain Sunday! It’s not often that I hope football is cancelled but it is likely as more coastal areas freeze more birds will seek refuge on the water meadows!  

No comments:

Post a Comment