Friday 2 December 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows and Athelhampton - Two Ticks in Two Days!

Today is normally do what I like day as the weekend is dedicated to roaming the turf however yesterday’s weather was not to be missed therefore the morning had to be spent training. I ventured out early afternoon to do a quick round of the water meadows and Athelhampton two of the main areas for wildfowl on Bardolf Farm!

The water meadows had seventeen Egyptian Geese with two at Athelhampton made nineteen! A group of Snipe were huddled together on Ten Acre at Athelhampton but sadly no Jack with them!

There was an additional quest at Athelhampton in relation to squealing I had heard the previous evening and had discounted! I don’t know why I do this but I had only heard the bird therefore tonight’s mission was to confirm the species by seeing it!!

The light was beginning to fade so I took up position overlooking a sodden field where the River Piddle had burst its banks. The photo with the moorhen shows the gap (background) where the Water Rail first appeared squealing as it moved through the cover to the right. The Moorhen were more obliging moving out into the open but it was getting so dark I was just threw the camera at anything that moved having nailed Bardolf Farm species 106 through the telescope!

Water Rail is seen during the day so perhaps another foray to the same spot early morning might pay dividends. I may have to find some better cover though!

The answer to the exam question is still “D”! 

No comments:

Post a Comment