Thursday 4 April 2019

New Zealand - South Island - Kaikoura Pelagic - Amazing Albatross!


The minute the aircrafts wheels touched the tarmac in Christchurch I have been itching to go on a Pelagic. I have not seen an Albatross before and New Zealand is definitely the place to see these magnificent flying machines. I contacted albatross encounter in Kaikoura who stated they had a boat leaving at 0930hrs this morning with three people which meant bad weather would be the only reason for a cancellation of the launch.
(Buller's Albatross)

I was up at super stupid o clock to take the three hour journey from Christchurch to arrive in good time to book my place on the sailing. The main highway route one was riddled with road-works which made the drive slow and tedious in parts but I made it and my place was secure joining three birding sisters from USA. Holding the ticket reminded me of the golden ticket in Charlie and the chocolate factory and I wasn’t letting go of it until I was on board the boat!
(Southern Royal Albatross)

Our skipper and guide was Tracy who delivered a tone of interesting facts about the birds that came in to the frozen ball of chum that was dropped into the water at strategic stop points during the voyage. 
I spent a good majority of the time totally amazed by the size and power of the albatrosses that sought control over the bag containing their prize!
(White Capped Albatross)

Four species of Albatross were seen of twelve species that frequent the waters during the year but it was enough to keep my mind spinning and wet my appetite for further pelagic trips before I return to Australia. 
The Great Northern Petrel was almost as big as the Wandering Albatross but was no match when there was food to be fought over. 
Westland and White Chinned Petrel joined the gathering of species intent on grabbing a morsel or two at the back of the boat. Cape Petrel was the smallest and most common bird seen during the trip. A single Diving Petrel made a brief appearance at one stop.
Buller’s, Hutton’s and Short Tailed Shearwaters also made fly-bys. The former rested amongst the Cape Petrels at one point.
I added Black Fronted Tern to my life list managing a couple of reasonable shots as the bird flew away.
Trip List:

Albatross: Southern Royal, Gibson’s Wandering 9, White-capped 4, Buller’s.

Petrels: Giant Northern 7, Westland 4, White-chinned 3, Cape Petrel 13, Diving.

Shearwaters: Hutton’s 3, Buller’s, Short Tailed.

Skuas: Great.

Terns: Black Fronted.

Gulls: Black backed 6, Red Billed 4

What an amazing morning with Dusky Dolphin swimming under the boat and NZ Fur Seals performing within the environs of the boat. Bring on the next pelagic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment