Monday 1 April 2019

New Zealand - North Island - Weka Watch!


I spent the day in the pouring rain using “Bruce” The Hippiemobile as a hide as I moved along the coast in the Kawakawa area. I had earlier chanced upon a meeting with Steve from the Kawakawa Bay Weka Watch group and there was a chance that I might see a bird later on in the day. This species is monitored in the area with each bird banded at an early stage enabling accurate population data to be collated. Below is the link to their website which gives a more in-depth overview of the work that is carried out to protect these amazing birds:-


I met up with Steve and the Weka watch began. This was going to be a game of patience but after an hour there was the sound of a calling bird which had me poised with camera in hand. The North Island Weka did not appear until thirty minutes later but appear it did! I instantly froze and then slowly raised the camera to fire off several full frame shots. What a magnificent individual who paused had a look around and then slipped off into the undergrowth leaving temporary imprints in the sodden ground.


Wow what a moment which had me grinning from ear to ear. I did not expect such great views and I am very grateful for the opportunity to photograph this protected species.


The rest of the day was pretty uneventful with the rain giving me plenty of time to sift through the shorebirds and terns that were taking the full weight of the storm.

I saw a leucistic Oystercatcher on one of the beaches but could not say which species it was.

I have an early start tomorrow to get to drop off “Bruce” and then head to the airport. 
What a day. Thanks Steve and of course Kermit for passing our way!


No comments:

Post a Comment