Saturday 30 March 2019

New Zealand - North Island - Endemic Update!

I have continued my journey along the East Coast of the North Island turning every stone at each stop for the chance of a new species to add to my trip total. 
I ventured inland to Rotorua in search of North Island Tomtit (South Island Yellow belly) which I found in an area of pines along Galaxy Road. Vehicular access is prevented by a barrier on one side of highway 5 and the chance of being flattened by a logging lorry at the other. Naturally I chose the barrier end and struck gold with two birds that were busy chasing each other at mid level in the pines.



Rotorua Central Gardens has added Yellowhammer and Goldfinch. Lake Rotoiti had my largest group of New Zealand Scaup but this species can be seen on most of the lakes. Access can be problematic as much of the surrounding areas are now private land or housing.
Lake Rotoehu boat ramp had a mixed flock in the trees including Silvereye and Grey Warbler. Several beaches hold Caspian Tern and White fronted Tern.


Miranda is the key area for shorebirds with a visit to the hides up to 2hrs before high tide. Wrybill are the smallest shorebird present with around 2000 birds present. 
Red Knot number over 300 with NZ endemic Pied and Variable Oystercatcher present the former in significant numbers. Variable are never totally black sometimes only a few feathers are white some birds looking similar to Pied with a mix of white and black feathers.
Bar Tailed Godwit juvenile birds will be present despite a few adults attempting to gee each other along to take the risk on migrating in showery weather. A Grey Tailed Tatler seemed totally lost in the sea of birds so it made friends with a Pacific Golden Plover. Turnstone was also present.

I have also been looking closely at the Red Billed and Black Billed Gulls and trying to unravel the id minefield when gulls do what they do best hybridise! I am not totally convinced I have added the latter species to the tally but maybe I will compile a separate post on my observations!

I have one full day on the North Island before I fly to Christchurch and take on the South Islands birds! The stay on Tiri has made light work of the species on this part of NZ. The scenery is amazing. 
The Hippie van has not fallen apart or gone overboard despite some tight turns, it offers a great nights sleep but after a day negotiating hill and dale behind its wheel I guess anyone would sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment