Friday 1 March 2019

Australia - TAS - Hobart Environs - TAS Endemics part II


The trail of the magnificent thirteen continues but at a more relaxed pace. I am slowly chipping away at the tally with the Waterworks Reserve at the centre of visits. No traffic problems, tolls, 100’s km a day or just crazy city driving. I am also staying in an apartment which is fantastic value for money!

I ventured slightly further out to Truganini Reserve which is adjacent to Mount Nelson Signal Station. The walk is a return track which is steep and rocky. Definitely walking boot terrain although someone passed me running up the creek in running shoes!


There were plenty of Thornbill, Silvereye and Spinebill on the slopes. A couple of Robin put in an appearance a Scarlet that spent just as much time looking at me as I it. 


A female Pink Robin that had other ideas not playing ball turning its back on me as I shot through the trunk and thick branch of a tree. I hope this is not the only view I have of this species the male is so much more colourfull!


Peter Murrell Reserves are situated behind a new housing development and has two ponds lined with white gum trees. 
These trees are favoured by Forty Spotted Pardalote but despite a few visits I have only found Spotted and Striated both in good numbers. 


Black Headed Honeyeater are also present and this flock of birds was located today at the Heron pond which is the second pond to the right of the car-park facing the fire break. The flock contains a mix of species including Woodswallow and Honeyeaters and is worth time spent sifting through the numbers. Strong Billed Honeyeater is present here similar to Black Headed but has a white crescent from the eye round the back of the head. 


The Waterworks Reserve is known for its Masked Owl, Morepork (Boobook) and Owlet-Nightjar but I have spent some time after dark spotlighting the area without any signs of owl life. I did happen upon a family party of Dusky Robin which entertained me with group branch cuddling!
I also believe I have seen a Black Currawong which flew across the upper pool showing no white wing patches and black rump. The picture was at distance near dusk!


Before the sun took its hat off today and blazed out an autumnal 37.2c I visited Goulds Lagoon where Tasmanian Native Hen was chasing each other around the margins. One pair had chicks perhaps the weather was encouraging a second brood this year!
The owl quest will continue but a light shower is forecast which I am not sure in Oz terms what that means exactly but if conditions are good the spotlight will be out again looking for Morepork!
The above said and further scrutiny of photos this leaves Green Rosella (They should be everywhere!), Morepork, Scrubtit, and Forty Spotted Pardalote. One more day in Hobart then three days on Bruny Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment