Thursday 28 March 2019

New Zealand - North Island - A Road Trip Shore Enough!


My road trip has began in a funky Hippie Campervan named Bruce. The van is nearly as old as me but has had a new radio installed to entertain me along the way as I made my way East and then South down the North Isand. I have mixed up my travelling styles during my adventures but this is the way to travel around New Zealand or Australia for that matter. There are plenty of Caravan Parks with facilities to cater for all needs and there is also the basic camping option for the more remote places.

Having stocked u on supplies I headed to the Mangere Water Treatment Plant to catch up on waterfowl and shorebirds. Several species of duck was present with some name changes and plenty of Mallard. At present I am in cross reference mode as New Zealand and Australian species names differ in many instances when the scientific name is the same or a sub-species of the other. 


Whilst wading through the wildfowl on a treatment pond I noticed a family party of Dabchick the reddish brown neck caught my eye and I took photographs of the group. Later in the day I spoke to a ranger at Miranda who confirmed the species which is endemic to New Zealand adding that they are probably the most photographed grebes in the area.


Paradise Shelduck were also present on this pond and in greater numbers on the field behind it, Canada Goose making up the flock. The female Shelduck has a white head and the male a dark head.

The tide was coming in on the harbor which was pushing the shorebirds closer to the road. Bar tailed Godwit, Wrybill, Dotterel, Pied (White Headed) Stilt, Black Swan, Royal Spoonbill, White faced heron, Variable and Pied Oystercatcher making up species within range.
Having gone a bit cross eyed looking at distant shorebirds I moved south to Kawakawa Bay where the birds would be closer to shore with better opportunities to photograph them. The birds were indeed closer but they had to run the gauntlet of a crazy dog who was having great fun chasing the flocks along the beach!

Spur-winged Plover (Vanellus mies novaehollandiae) a sub species of Masked Lapwing (Vanellus mies) were more reluctant to move than the other birds.
My last stop was at Miranda where I had messed up the high tide having looked at the wrong Miranda on the tide tables. I’m not the first one that has done that! 

I called in at the research centre to be promptly dispatched to the hides a couple of km down the road to see the departing flocks of Wrybill, Pacific Golden Plover and Pied Stilt. The area beyond the shingle bar was covered in shorebirds! The tide tomorrow will be an hour later therefore there is an opportunity to visit other sites earlier in the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment