Monday 4 March 2019

Australia - TAS - Bruny Island - Mount Mangana Trail - Endemic Full House!


I was out at the crack of dawn walking the Mount Mangana rainforest trail in search of Scrubtit. There was one onther person on the trail and the habitat looked good for this species and some uphill exercise!

The morning was perfect slightly chilly by Oz standards but good for rainforest birding. It had slipped my mind that Pink Robin could occur here and whilst on the Scrubtit trail a male appeared in background. I was also on double quick form putting the camera straight to work. This was a good move as the bird that was a very safe distance away had a brief look at me and flew off! Wow what an amazing bird as I looked at the pictures in the back screen! The male was high on my list of birds to see on this part of the trip and without and effort (apart from being in prime habitat for them) one appeared!

The morning just got better after that as a Scrubtit appeared in a mixed flock as I made my way up to the top of the track. That was the last TAS endemic to make my list (discounting the Morepork whose near relative can also be seen in New Zealand!). 

I had what could be a Thrush but I do not know the identity of this bird. Is it a juvenile or have I become stuck on the family which is preventing identification of this bird?! It is an Olive Whistler thanks John Tongue 

Could the morning get any better well it seemed the birds were throwing themselves in front of me now a Black Currawong swooped and landed in the tree ahead of me. I have been debating my own sightings of this species and the similar sub species of Grey Currawong but there was no doubt in my mind this time! 

 A Bassian Thrush even posed on the path on my descent but I guessed it knew that it was stood in darkness with bright sunlight behind it. When it moved a blade of grass became the spoiler to a reasonable shot.

En-route to the trail a group of Green Rosella performed where I had pulled in to observe a hive of passerine activity!


That was not a bad few hours by any standard. The walk should take 90minutes return but I took four hours well worth it with Yellow Throated and Black Headed Honeyeater and Thornbills low in the scrub!



Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment