Thursday 28 February 2019

Australia - TAS - Mount Wellington and Waterworks Reserve - Steady Start to Endemics!


The Tasmanian stage of my adventure began with thirteen endemics to find before I depart on the 8th for ACT. The Waterworks Reserve is situated in the Mount Wellington jurisdiction which is a very handy fifteen minutes away. All thirteen endemics have been recorded at this reserve and the slopes to the mountain.

I spent the evening hoping to hear Morepork (split from Boobook) or even a Masked Owl but the masses of Sulphur Crestead Cockatoos were making enough noise for everything to be drowned out. The birds are much bigger that the cage birds you see at home. 
This morning I walked the Upper and Lower trails and succeeded in identifying Tasmanian Thornbill which has a white rump and rufous tinge on the tail feathers. I flushed a Bassian Thrush from the path this bird then sat tight at the back of a shrub evry time I crept forward the bird shuffled round then took its opportunity to escape the paparazzi.
On the opposite side of the reserve Yellow Throated Honeyeater were easily located.
Followed in quick succession by Black headed Honeyeater both species enjoying an early morning feed.
Around 9am a large school group was seen marching in pairs up the path. It was time to move further up the slope towards Fern Tree and the Fern Glade track which is opposite the pub. I walked up Middle track to the gravel path around what looked like a water tank. I heard and then staked out Yellow Wattlebird who were skulking around in the trees and not behaving as the book describes.

I walked most of the network of tracks from here playing another game of peek-a-boo with Tasmanian Scrubwren. The day was not overly sunny therefore I wonder if these birds were just more cautious or less active today.
That brings the total of endemics to five. I have photographed many Currawong some juvenile birds and cannot positively identify a Black from the subspecies of Grey Currawong on the island. Both are present along with Forest Raven which could be mistaken in flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment