Monday 18 February 2019

Australia - VIC - Western Treatment Plant - Birds Galore!


I spent the day at the Western Treatment Plant in the area of Twenty-nine Mile Road which has general access for bird watchers. There are several gates some leading to hides which require a key. Despite a few calls to the water authority that controls the site I was unable to access the restricted areas but there was plenty to see on the pools and fields surrounding the restricted areas. 


I spent some time looking through the ducks, shorebirds, Ibis and both Spoonbills before heading to Beach Road in search of Striated Fieldwren which announced its presence from a post at the edge of the small car park which also had White Fronted Chat and a flock of House Sparrow.


I searched the area looking for Zebra Finch but none could be found until I drove along Beach Road towards Twenty-nine Mile Rd where I caught a small group of finches in my periphery vision as I crept along the track in the SUV.


I spent the remainder of the morning looking at raptors that were hunting over the fields. A Whistling Kite paid particular attention to stealth photography in the area of the finches.


Australian Kite or Black Shouldered Kite were also present a pair settling in the trees close to where I had parked up during my raptor watch. 


A couple of Brolga were found feeding in the area that was dubbed Shelduck field. There must have been a thousand birds, with around a hundred Straw Necked Ibis. This area is definitely worth putting top of the list if you are paying a visit to Melbourne!

The freeway back to Melbourne reminded me of the M40 in Oxfordshire loaded with Kites, Kestrel and other raptors. It was a shame I could not stop to view and id some of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment