Saturday 23 February 2019

Australia - VIC - Western Treatment Plant - Raptors Re-visited!


My intention was to spend the day at You Yangs Regional Park but the area was so dry and bird less that I cut the visit short and returned to the Western Treatment Plant to concentrate on finding the various species of raptor that frequent the area. 
I did however bump into a group of Long Billed Corella that is easily identified by the red feathering around the eye and the throat. Closer views reveal the longer upper mandible.

The raptors at the plant did not disappoint with a Brown Falcon spotted in a tree before the beginning of Twenty nine mile road. 
The bird was curious about my presence and took a short fly over before returning to its original perch.

I also caught up with Black Kite which I am certain have featured over the main freeway in the Geelong area. 
These birds were far more approachable but I generally drive past perched birds and then use the cover of the suv to gain good position for pictures.

There were also a good gathering of Welcome Swallow and Fairy Martin on the wires and gravel around the car park at Kirk Point. The birds suddenly took flight and were gone there could only be reason for the reaction and an Australian Hobby landed on a post supporting the fence to the car park.

Whistling Kite were also in this area which is well worth staking out before venturing down Twenty nine mile road. Black Falcon have also been reported I had a possible candidate where the photos are not conclusive. Sometimes it is wise to have a longer look at a bird before engaging the camera then if the pictures don’t come up to scratch at least a decent view of the bird has been achieved.

The pair of Australian Kite were seen near Gate 3 later on in the day. It appears to be a favoured area as the day moves into the afternoon.
The Shelduck were still numerous  and particularly troubled by the raptor activity during the morning.  

I have changed location after some issues with a hotel in the city. I have been refunded and I am now staying at Ferntree Gully which is in the area where I sought my first Superb Lyrebird! More to follow…

No comments:

Post a Comment