Monday 25 February 2019

Australia - VIC - Philip Island - Penguins Paradise!


My trip to the state of Victoria is coming to a close and the perfect way to end it was at Philip Island where I hoped to see wild Little Penguin. 
The Nobbies Visitor centre was the location that came up trumps with a pair in a nest hole just off the boardwalk. I spied another pair in a nest box closer to the centre. 

The former pair were far more entertaining acting like an old style weather vane one pushes its way out whilst the other stays indoors. 


Looking out to sea was another impressive sight with waves of Short Tailed Shearwater passing the round rock. I have never seen so many of which there are over a million that nest within the confines of the national park. The time to visit is after dusk and like the Penguins the Shearwaters return to their burrows departing before dawn to feed in the ocean.


The Penguin Parade is a popular tourist attraction where you can view the Penguins returning to their nest at dusk. I considered staying to see the spectacle at around 9pm tonight but I was content with observing the performing burrowers!


A few Australian Gannet caused the odd heart tremor showing a white underbody against the dark belly of the shearwaters. Migratory times must be very interesting along this coastline. I hope to see the odd Albatross whilst in New Zealand during the autumn period!


Tomorrow at stupid o clock I return to the madness of Melbourne and its airport on a single to Hobart Tasmania! I hope to have my tanks full for the Bruny Island endemic challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment