Friday 15 February 2019

Australia - SA - Laratinga Wetlands - Fitting End To SA Truck Tour!


My final stop on this fantastic leg of my adventure was at Laratinga Wetlands in the Mount Barker area on the outskirts of Adelaide. This excellent wetland habitat was a local community creation from small mud splats to vibrant lakes with reed-beds and an area of swamp lined with eucalyptus bushes and scrub. The walkways are user friendly creating a peaceful environment to observe nature at close quarters.


My early morning visit had me stumbling on a Royal Spoonbill that was busily sifting a snack from a tiny reed lined pool by the entrance to the reserve. I am not certain how regular this species is at this site but it attracted some interest from local people.


Ducks were present in numbers but I could not find my intended quarry Freckled Duck perhaps the rise in water level has seen them move on. I did however catch up with Little Grassbird which was skulking in the reeds with Australian Reed Warbler.


Australian Spotted Crake were darting around in the swamp margins briefly looking up to observe the observer before continuing their morning feed.


Latham’s Snipe was also using thick clumps of reed stems to rest beside. I saw what looked like an otter swimming across the area of swamp. It took me by totally by surprise!


Crimson Rosella were noted feeding at ground and in the trees. Mulga Parrot and Sulphur Crestead Cockatoo were also present close to the car park.

I am taking a short flight to Melbourne tomorrow. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Apollo Land Cruiser and  the people I have met during my travels. Perhaps I should have driven the 750km to Melbourne!

1 comment:


  1. Thanks for sharing this informative blog about Australia sa laratinga wetlands fitting. Newportcarremoval is best among all other company for car and unwanted truck removal melbourne.

    ReplyDelete