Thursday 11 April 2019

New Zealand - South Island - No Blues with the Duck!



Todays adventure took me into Fiordland which has been hit by a heavy storm over the last couple of days. I hoped to connect with Blue Duck which is a regular feature at Monkey Creek provided you beat the mad dash of tourists that congregate in the car park by the river crossing. This meant another early start with a drive of over three hours from Invercargill.
Dawn had already passed but I was alone for long enough to find the Blue Duck and get some pictures before the Kea brigade arrived abandoning cars to get a shot of the dark destroyers!


My next stop was just up the road by the tunnel to Milford. The site is very reliable for Rock Wren with birds seen along the closed path adjacent to the car-park adjacent to the tunnel. Despite spending a few hours there and speaking to the Department Conservation Officer I was not able to locate a bird. Perhaps the storm had some influence but this species can be tricky despite a healthy population in the area.



Tomorrow I am off to Stewart Island for the last leg of my NZ tour. Just need the weather to hold out for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment