Friday 9 July 2021

Dorset - Portland to Abbotsbury - Turned Up In Time!

I was up at stupid o clock for the first time in a long while. I headed to Portland Bill where Balearic Shearwater were being recorded passing the bill. I only recorded two birds during my two hour stint with many more Manx Shearwater passing from West to East. A group of Common Scoter (10) was the highlight of the session. Pete Coe joined me taking the pictures as the birds ventured reasonably close as they rounded the bill. Sandwich Tern was also noted in groups of two and three.

My next stop was a brief one at Ferrybridge and then onto Lodmoor RSPB in search of Roseate Tern which drew a blank at both locations. News from Steve Groves at Abbotsbury Swannery had me high tail it back to the Swannery having missed an individual the previous day. On arrival Steve was wearing a broad smile as there were three Roseate Terns lined up on the “Tern Rails” between the hide and the main path through the site.

A sparrowhawk stirred the terns up shifting a bird to the water’s edge in front of my position. The pair flew over the single bird calling before heading out towards the shingle bank. 

I left too early as an Arctic Tern was later reported. A product of the incoming inclement weather no doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment