Wednesday 16 January 2019

Australia - Perth - Victoria Dam - On The Trail For WA Endemics!


I will soon be on a small road trip down to Albany and across to Cape Leewin and back to Perth for a few days before flying to Adelaide for the next phase of my adventure. I therefore picked up a hire car yesterday and took an afternoon trip to Victoria Dam. The area is owned by the water authority and supplies Perth with its drinking water. The accessible area is small but there is the potential to connect with eleven of WA endemics. The area is quiet and picturesque with a warden who opens the gates between 0800 and closes them at 1700hrs. The area below the new dam wall is particularly good for passerines but arrive before the sun rises as the area seems devoid of life afterwards.

My afternoon visit was during the heat of the day which did not leave much time for bird activity. A few Cockatoos passed overhead and a couple of parrots were seen after 1500hrs. The light was terrible for photography but a Splendid Fairy Wren did make an appearance for the lone paparazzi. A mental note was made to return early the next morning. 

The gate was opened just as I arrived at 0600hrs which was a good start. This saved abandoning the car on the road and a long walk down to the dam. There was more a lot more activity with a group of Western Rosella flying in to the trees surrounding the car park. 

I made my way down to the top of the dam hoping to bury a run of terrible shots of the Cockatoos that traverse the tree lined slopes. Carnabys (Short Billed) and Baudins (Long Billed) have both been recorded in the area but these white tails were not to make an appearance during my visit. However I obtained conclusive pictures of the Red Tailed Black Cockatoo which has a loud screechy call reminiscent of a macaw!
I walked down to the lower level past a small pond which incidentally had a Pacific Black Duck on it. Making my way to a small grassy area lined with trees and shrubs just below the base of the dam. The area was alive with birds. I took up a position in the shade and waited for the birds to appear. I met John Fawshaw who is a regular at the dam and also watches in Singapore and is a member of Singapore Birders FB page. 

White Breasted was the first of two species of Robin who bathed in the dust in small divots in the grass.

Scarlet Robin followed on with several males frequenting the area.

The Fairy Wrens were represented by Blue Breasted that was far more difficult to photograph particularly as the black breast distinguishes it from the Variable Fairywren.  The Splendid male was more obliging and has become a personal favourite of mine coming to within a couple of feet of me at one point. As with the majority of species the females are not as colourful but have a certain appeal to them.

One of the briefest of encounters of the morning saw a juvenile type Red Eared Firetail hop out of the shrubs into the open then quickly retreating into cover not to be seen again!

I had a brief encounter with a Honeyeater which is confirmed as a Western White Naped Honeyeater or Gilbert's Honeyeater. Mystery Solved...Thank you Sandra from Birdlife Australia


The next species I believe is a juvenile or female Western Whistler. The male is more obvious bright yellow with a white throat and black head. I have other pictures of this bird at different angles.
There were many young birds in this area during my vigil which ended as soon as the area fell quiet and the sun was cooking the grass!

No comments:

Post a Comment