Friday 25 January 2019

Australia - WA - Two Peoples Bay - Bristlebird Bonus At Little Beach!


The last couple of days have seemed like an eternity with heavy winds and rain blighting the landscape. Albany is known for unseasonal bouts of bad weather but if you ask anyone locally this is not the case. The surf has definitely been up!

Yesterday was almost a washout with trips to the Lighthouse at The Gap where I was battered by howling winds with nothing to show for my endevours. I moved inland to Porongurup National Park where I added the Red Winged Fairywren and a Crested Pigeon on the roadside en route. The birds on the uphill path at Tree In The Rock (Yes there is a tree growing out of granite!) were very active which was great for viewing but not for camera use.
The skies were clear this morning at stupid o clock Little Beach at Two Peoples Bay was the venue in search of the three amigos which are all very difficult to see! The Western Bristlebird was active with up to four individuals in the area of the car park but would they show themselves. Two birds did with one popping up metres from my position. This was some reward for considerable patience staking out singing birds.

The Noisy Scrubbird and the Western Whipbird were not seen or heard in the area from dawn. I have another site for the latter which I may try tomorrow. Two Peoples Bay is very pleasant so I took a walk along the beach keeping one eye on the dunes for Rock Parrot!
Pacific and Silver Gull, Sooty Oystercatcher and a Common Sandpiper were noted along with two Pelican that flew in chasing a boat that had been pulled ashore. Was the cargo something fishy!
I saw a small flock of Red Eared Firetail land in the scrub near the visitor centre. The red rump was obvious in flight and my first adult bird was recorded.

I spent the afternoon at the small Dam at Porongurup NP which has had reports of Baudin’s Cockatoos. I figured the dam would be a good spot to see any birds that are on the move. A Nankeen Kestrel was a nice bonus over the trees. 
The Grey Fantails at the Tree In The Rock are very entertaining. This bird was observed doing a sun dance yesterday. The birds efforts clearly paid off!

No comments:

Post a Comment