Wednesday 30 January 2019

Australia - WA - Cape to Cape Rock Parrots!


The mornings begin at the Leewin-Naturaliste National Park Lighthouse which is about a ten minute drive from Meelup B & B in Dunsborough which is highly recommended. The reserve at Cape Naturaliste is best visited early morning before the wind picks up! At this time of year the Sealions can been viewed frequenting rocky outcrops from two watchpoints. Whale season is September to early December. The heathland is vast and holds an array of mammals including Kangeroo. There are also snakes one slithered by as I was sat on a bench “On the other side of the moon!” yesterday morning. But if you don’t trouble them they are on their way as quickly as they appear.
First thing the area is alive with passerines, Silvereye, Fairywrens, scrubwrens, honeyeaters and wattlebirds. I even bumped into a Brown Quail twice along the path this morning. 
A pair of Elegant Parrot graced the car park wires just after first light. Note the Yellow and blue band above the eyes and brighter yellow in this species.

The Rock Parrot quest was gaining momentum as well as a bit of frustration on my part. Today I decided to complete the Cape to Cape route  which is a famous hiking trail (but in a car) and seek out these elusive parrots at Cape Leewin. The route takes around five days to complete involving camping along the route. My journey took an hour and thirty minutes via state route 10!

I arrived at around mid-day and checked out the old water wheel which has a small pool adjacent to it. The entry to the grounds to the lighthouse costs $6AUS allowing access to a tour of the lighthouse. I spoke to the staff at the entrance and the news on the Parrot was they had not been seen for over a week. Uh oh here we go again! 
I had seen photos of the Parrot on ebird so knew they had been on site. I had a walk round and then returned to the water wheel parking the car away from the small pool. The parrots would have to come to drink at some stage. This was also a good opportunity to have lunch!
Sure enough I blinked an eye and a couple of Rock Parrot appeared and were quenching their thirst at the edge of the pool. My apple bounced off the car seat and I made a hasty but controlled exit from the car. I was firing off shots when a tourists car parked up and the guy shouted across the car park “Another guy who likes birds” needless to say the parrots were off and headed off under some trees with the guy and his wife  now in hot pursuit!!
To cut a story short I caught up with the people (who were very pleasant) and the Parrots. I returned to the visitor centre and informed the staff should anyone else ask about the parrots where-a-bouts! I was bouncing around and the they must have thought I was nuts but complimented me on my persistence! 
Note the darker green colour and there is a feint blue band across the eyes. Overall this species is duller that the Elegant and lacks the yellow band under the eye.
I take the drive back to Perth tomorrow ending the short WA endemic tour! It has been challenging but worth the field hours put in. I have had a splendid time!! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment