Sunday 27 January 2019

Australia - WA - Lake Seppings - Swings and Roundabouts!


I took the short journey to Lake Seppings this morning to catch up on some more regular species. The lake is situated adjacent to the Albany Golf Course and has parking on site. The path and boardwalks pass through reed-beds and trees. There was a good mix of passerines and waterfowl with Pelican and Ibis.


There were good numbers of Blue Billed Duck in the margins and a small pool. This species I missed at Bibra Lake earlier in the month. Musk Duck, Grey Teal and the odd Shoveler made up the duck numbers.


Red Eyed Firetail were numerous and easily located along the path. They did not seem too phased by human presence unlike previous encounters with this species.


I caught up with a group of Red Winged Fairywren near the car park. A species I saw during the inclement weather at Porongurup National Park. Note the dark bill and the red patch behind the billon the female. 


I saw an immature male in the group with a dab of the turquoise in the head as the bird moults out of juvenile plumage.


Reed Warbler was also busy feeding young in the reeds. The parents venturing into open areas in the search of food.


Common Bronzewing were surprisingly tame along the path taking a short flight up into a tree to drop back to the path as soon as I left.

The Noisy Scrub-bird has not lived up to its name for my SW Australian visit. I am out of season for this species and with the holiday season in full swing consider myself fortunate that I have seen the Whipbird and Bristlebird. Tomorrow I move to the Cape Leewin area where I still have a chance of picking up Baudin’s Cockatoo another SW endemic that has eluded me.

No comments:

Post a Comment