Wednesday 23 January 2019

Australia - WA - Cheynes Beach - Wind in the "Willows"!


There was more rain this morning as I made my way to Cheynes Beach where most of the WA endemics can be found. The sea was choppy and there was an onshore wind therefore I set up my stall on the rocks to observe the sea.


It was not long before a shearwater came into view hugging and disappearing behind the waves. The bird came to rest on the water just to the right of my position giving me time to look at the bird more closely. The heavy build all brown body with a black tip to the pinkish bill had me conclude the bird was a Flesh Footed Shearwater.


Australian Gannet were more regular and easier to identify slowly wheeling high above the waves without showing any sense of urgency.
There was plenty of Crested Tern passing close by with calling Sooty Oystercatcher which always passed behind me. I caught up with a pair on the rocks later on in the morning.


The Pacific Gull is the beast of all gulls. I would not want to mess with that bill! There were a couple on the beach with adult and immature seen in flight.


In the process of re-locating the car to the caravan park I saw a male Brush Bronzewing perched on the wires. I then went in search of the three amigos (Noisy Scrubwren, Western Bristlebird and Western Whipbird) but I did not hold out much hope as the sun had pushed the cloud aside to brighten up the area. 



I did not add any new endemics to my list but saw Fairywren's (except Red Winged) and a female Western Spinebill. A Red Eared Firetail was seen near the entrance to the caravan park.

I moved up Cheyne Road to Waychinicup National Park to have lunch and a chill out before I returned to the beach for an evening endemic search. During my break I saw a Nankeen Kestrel and a pair of Whistling Kite that were utilizing one of the rock faced hills in the distance.

By mid afternoon the wind had kicked up bending bushes and small trees. The road was covered in debris as a result so I cut my day short and made my way back to Albany and a visit to The Gap where sea watching during migration is a must.

The forecast for tomorrow is more strong winds and showers. Perhaps a sea watch is more likely. Friday is the next moderate day in terms of wind strength and hopefully the passerines might be more obliging.

No comments:

Post a Comment