Thursday 17 January 2019

Australia - Perth - Bibra Lake - Back On The Rails!


I joined Bildlife Australlia for a tour at Bibra Lake with Sandra and her husband as guides. The group of around a dozen made their way round the lake stopping at both the hides to view the reed-beds for rails and crakes and the open water for wildfowl.
A successful morning with some birding identification tips and a few more species added to my life list. A Spotless Crake was the star of the morning but it took some patience to get decent pictures of this very shy and secretive bird.
A Buff Banded Rail was not as shy but was further away in the sunlight therefore the same quality photo was not achieved. Both birds were seen from the first hide which is an anchored pontoon which overlooks reed-beds.
During the walk back a Hobby passed overhead but I did not get enough on it to distinguish it from a European Hobby that has been a feature around the lake. Back at the car-park a couple of Brown Goshawk were making a racket above our heads. The size and overall structure of the birds determining it from the very similar Collared Sparrowhawk .
I had seen Pink Eared Duck at a distance on the lake so I took another walk hoping for a close view of the fantastic species of duck.
Whilst looking for the Blue Billed Duck a Swamp Harrier came into view patrolling the reeds. Sadly I did not find the duck but I will have a few days in Perth at the beginning of February so all is not lost.

Tomorrow I am off to Dryandra for the weekend. I am not certain there will be good enough wifi to post but I will certainly catch up when I reach Albany! Thank you everyone for a very enjoyable morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment