Thursday 3 January 2019

Singapore - Butik Timah Botanical Gardens - Owls That !


I have recently joined the Singapore Birders Facebook group and learn’t that a Hooded Pitta has been regularly seen at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. This reserve was on my list of places to visit so I set out early in an attempt to connect with the bird. On arrival I was the only bird watcher their but the local joggers / hillwalkers (The incline is very steep) knew of it. I spent the first couple of hours in vein searching suitable habitat and then took the hill to the summit where the famous fig tree is situated.

I met Geraldine who is a local student and knowledgeable birder and the task began in identifying two flowerpeckers that whizzed about from the fig to surrounding trees and back again. All the local birdwatchers have been very helpful during my stay and much of the information I have gained has assisted me connect with migrants and resident specials.
I received more information on when to view the juvenile Buffy Fish Owl at the Botanical Gardens. Needless to say I connected with the bird later on in the day and appeared on a live instogram feed. People are crazily friendly in Singapore!
Anyway back to the fig tree and the Flowerpeckers. Both of us were firing off shots in an attempt to identify the species. After a game of cat and mouse both species perched on the near side of the fig tree the former a Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker almost landed in front of me (after Geraldine had left) later in the morning.
The second bird a female Orange Bellied Flowerpecker was not as confiding but I managed a distant shot of it. Job done! Other species frequenting the fig tree were Lesser Green Leafbird a male that just would not stay still along with bulbuls and pigeon most of which I added to the photo collection as the morning progressed.
A Thick Billed Green Pigeon was joined by its mate on a branch and both snuggled up to each other in a romantic pose.
What I think is an Asian Fairy Bluebird female was caught on camera I can't even remember aiming the camera at this bird.
I called a Black Headed Bulbul during the early part of the vigil but it disappeared for over an hour leaving me wondering if I had seen a bird in the shadows. The bird returned and set my mind at ease. A Red Eyed Bulbul was also seen in the same area.

Emerald Dove and Greater Coucal were added and as I was making my way back the the Visitor entrance I spied a small group of birders further south of the area I had been watching earlier. Uh oh and yes the Hooded Pitta had been photographed thirty minutes before my decent and it was not seen again! 
 I eventually cut my losses and headed to the Botanical Gardens connecting with a pair of Zebra dove on a pedestrian walkway over the main highway!


The dilemma I have now is whether to spend another morning looking for the pitta or continue with my reserve and general species mop up plan! I will sleep on it!!

2 comments:

  1. Some of those birds are giving me memories from a few years go birding in Malaysia - amazing part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a pretty special place Arjun I guess its even better during migration...

      Delete