Friday 4 January 2019

Singapore - Bukit Timah - Hooded Pitta Third Time Lucky!


Was it going to be third time lucky for me and my quest to see the Hooded Pitta that has been present at Butik Timah since the turn of the New Year.  This species is migratory through Singapore and spends its time in leaf litter feeding on insects. This pitta can be extremely difficult to see and this individual had eluded me on two previous visits.

I arrived at noon and took a slow walk up the path towards the Visitor Centre and the toilet block. The bird had initially been seen further up the hill in the leaf litter to the left of a small speed hump. The bird had been photographed the previous day further down the hill opposite the Visitor centre in front of the toilet block.
I took up my lone vigil at the spot the bird had been seen the previous day. My mind was telling me that the bird must still be present due to the suitable habitat in this area. After around fifteen minutes the pitta took a single bounce through the small triangle created by the leaves. I was not ready for this moment and only saw the bird briefly. Panic stations no photo and would this be the only view I had! I squatted down for what seemed like an eternity before the bird returned to the same spot…crikey I was shaking but fired off a group of shots with iso 5000 which gives an idea of how dark it was. 
My heart was racing but knew I had to keep the camera steady of the wait would have no end product. These were tense moments but inside I was doing cartwheels! I watched the bird for approximately twenty minutes as it stood motionless partly concealed by the fauna!
Once the bird had settled I took time to show a couple of local people who were wondering why the crazy guy was folded up like a crumpled newspaper near the ground! 
The grin was back as I left the pitta to rest in the undergrowth. I then took a celebratory walk to the quarry at Hindehede Nature Park where I saw a Darter which flew across the water coming to rest on a dead branch.
A Malaysian Pied Fantail came down to the water edge to drink and disappeared just as quickly as it arrived.
A couple of White Tailed Sea Eagle was observed overhead.



What an end to the day… Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, glad you got it in the end! Is that a juv White bellied Sea Eagle - saw a family a few years ago, such stunning birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these birds pop up at every site as well as Brahminy Kite

      Delete