Saturday 26 January 2019

Australia - WA - Bettys Beach - Whipbird Stake Out!


Bettys Beach was the venue for the latest installment of the search for the three amigos. The focus on todays mission was the Western Whipbird which according to the books is reliable at Boulder Hill 4x4 track.

The skies were cloudy and a fresh breeze brushed the tops of the heath therefore conditions were favourable. I took an initial walk of the area and identified an area where one bird had called a couple of times. I then prepared to dig in and sit it out supplies at the ready for the day ahead. The bird announced its presence further up the hill within the taller scrub with some small shrubs/trees. The good news was it was getting closer and if I stayed concealed there was a reasonable chance of a view of the bird.

Time moved on (5-6hrs) and so did the scenario with the bird moving down the slope to my left hand side. It popped up briefly a few times before darting across the track behind me. One more head view showing the white moustacial stripe and black bib was had before the bird moved lower down the slope calling once more before falling silent! No where near as obliging as yesterdays Bristlebird but they are considered quite tame at Little Beach!
I also added a couple of more species to my tally. The first a Southern Scrub Wren who initially played a bit of hide and seek with me but when a couple of other birds turned up it showed well!

I recorded my first Cuckoo of the trip with a Fan Tailed flying east along the thin line of trees. A Whistling Kite was observed during the stake out completing the species of note.
I recorded my first Cuckoo of the trip with a Fan Tailed flying east along the sparse line of trees. A Whistling kite and numerous New Holland Honeyeaters, Silvereye and Scrubwren were also noted.
The only concern is I have not heard a Noisy Scrub-bird having visited Cheynes, and Two Peoples Bay..!


No comments:

Post a Comment