Sunday 6 January 2019

Singapore - Pasir Ris and Changi Business Park - Tern ed out Well !!


My quest for my feathered friends took me to Changi Business Park which is on the outskirts of the international airport and Pasir Ris Park which has a variety of habitats and the possibility of roosting owls. During the day I met up with Martin and Leah who took me too some spots where the owls can be found. I also added a couple of life species to my list that I would not have found without their assistance. I am grateful to both for their help and maybe our paths will cross again when I return in May.

Pasir Ris Town Park main feature was its fishing lake which was packed with local people testing their skills with rod and line. The areas surrounding the rectangular ponds were lined with trees and small areas of grassland. The main park is situated beyond this and is accessible via a path along the canal. The parks were not that busy for a Sunday although there was a large group of very vocal children on some kind on adventure and fitness program in the area where the Spotted Wood Owls roosted. Shame!
Oriental Pied Hornbill was the first species added to the notebook, something which initially took me by surprise but there were more in the main park.

Tree Sparrows, Sunbirds, Pigeons and Miners were numerous in Town Park.
I caught up with a couple of Stork Billed Kingfisher along the canal missing a raptor in the process of securing photographs of Singapore’s largest of Kingfishers.
A Crested Goshawk was more obliging circling a tall building before landing on its roof remaining there for around twenty minutes. White Tailed Sea Eagle and Brahminy Kite were the other raptors of the day.
The local birders are very partial to Common Kingfisher and news of a photographable individual provokes a mini stampede in the direction of the bird. Fortunately for me one came to me and was duly added to the notebook. 
I have some dot shots of some Terns fishing of the bay but identification to species level is going to be tricky to say the least!
The afternoon was spent looking for owls and a visit to Changi Business Park to see the long staying Ashy Drongo. The pic is the best of a bag bunch.
Green Imperial Pigeon was also seen feeding on fruits on palms thank goodness for Martins local knowledge. I would not have found either of the above.

I have one last morning in Singapore before I fly to Perth and my birding experience has been magnificent. I have seen approximately 90 species with a few that got away. The MRT is a convenient way to visit the reserves without the hassle of driving! I look forward to returning in May on the last leg of my adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment