Sunday 30 June 2019

London Wetland Centre - Group of Godwits!


I have been covering several sites of late, London Wetland Centre (LWC), Holmethorpe Sand Pits, Epsom Downs, Banstead Golf Course and of course my back garden. These days are in total contrast to turning up at the Farm and cementing myself for the duration of the day within the fenceline. The problem with the former is that you cannot be at all the sites at the same time therefore weather conditions take on a greater significance when choosing which area to cover! I have not attempted to cover them all in a day but again there is risk attached to moving sites.

The easterly blow in the week had me favouring the LWC and Holmethorpe with the chance of returning shorebirds. I left LWC too early on Friday missing a Black Tailed Godwit (Blackwit) on the main lake. The weather today continued to be sunny but with a change of wind round to a westerly. Not an ideal wind but there had been an increase of shorebirds at Rainham but in these conditions I decided to attend to other matters.
The SVC whattsapp group pinged with a message from Geoff Barter notifying the group of 22 Blackwits at the LWC and then a Common Sand at Holmethorpe from Gordon. I had seen plenty of both species but the number of Blackwit was interesting and close to my Beddington top count. A deep breath later and I was off making good time to LWC. The Blackwits were still there viewable from the WWT hide but their numbers had increased. Clicker time and a count of 39 was checked and recorded in my notebook. 
Now that is my highest SVC tally therefore worth the journey, which incidentally was again trouble free. There was a colour banded bird in the group with white over red on the left and orange and a number 7.. on the right leg. I was informed that this bird was banded by an Icelandic Group. Nice!
I had also noted that high tide at Hammersmith was at 1330hrs so decided to sit a while to see if anything else joined the huddle of birds. There were other species but they were being watched from the Peacock hide, a Common Sandpiper and a couple of snipe.  I arrived too late for the Sandpiper but sat it out in the hope the bird would appear along the front edge of the scrapes!

Time was again running out so I left happy with my days tally. Tices Meadow also recorded 14 Blackwits this morning. The news group is ticking over nicely!

Geoff I know you don’t look at my blog only the pictures I post on FB. But thanks anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment