Friday 28 June 2019

West Sutton - Glory of the Garden!


Each morning I spend an hour on garden watch before I head out to the gym or other SVC avian pastures. The count fluctuates around the fifteen species mark with regular entries of ten species. Gull numbers have decreased significantly since the Incinerator at Beddington Farm has become operational. House Sparrow numbers are reasonable with three to four nesting pairs in roofs of adjacent houses.


This morning’s vigil added another new species of raptor to the garden total. I literally bumped into a female Kestrel that was hovering outside the front of the house which I guess proves the theory that Londoners are never more than six foot away from a rodent of some description. As fortune would have it I had my camera in my hand to capture the moment before the Kestrel who fixed its gaze briefly on me before drifting out of sight.


I have had a run of raptors of late the last a pair of Buzzard on June 1st and....

the previous summer July 25th a Red Kite that circled low over the house.
I spent the rest of the morning at the London Wetland Centre where I recorded Redshank, LRP, Teal , House Martin, Sedge and Cetti’s Warbler. I appear to have left a bit prematurely with east winds bringing in a Black Tailed Godwit which was seen by staff and Arjun Dutta. Nice one Arjun!

No comments:

Post a Comment