Saturday 1 June 2019

West Sutton - An Eye on the Sky!


Saturday is traditionally a day of sport for me. The Lionesses hosted New Zealand in their last Soccer World Cup warm up match and the Rugby League Challenge Cup Quarter Finals were both screened Live on the BBC. Sadly my adopted side London Broncos was already out of the Rugby competition but their next opponents St Helens featured against Wakefield Trinity. 
The forecast outside was clear and sunny with temperatures reaching 26c by mid afternoon. This had my eye focused on the garden with a chance of raptors but how high would they be with no cloud! It did not take long to fix my eyes on two Common Buzzard wheeling high above the garden. 
The cameras focus was stretched to its limit as the auto focus initially would not lock on the birds and it was only a matter of time before they disappeared into the haze. My garden raptor tally is poor but this was a new species for the garden tally. Red Kite was the last addition in 2018.

The garden was alive with House Sparrow with tits and finches joining the chorus. My feeders have not been filled since my trip to Oceania but the designated wild flower garden is attracting a host of insects. for the birds to feed on. A few Swift was also seen overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment