Sunday 9 June 2019

Surrey Commons - A Day of Two Halves!


The days forecast was high winds and heavy showers which saw me head to Holmethorpe SP with a bit of hope that a late migrant might have been caught in the front. The resident Buzzards a Hobby and Kestrel were not perturbed by the winds. I spent a fair bit of time dodging showers but added a male Pochard and Mistle Thrush to my measly UK year tally.


By mid afternoon the showers were less frequent with some sunny spells. I decided to visit the Surrey Commons to connect with some of the summer visitors that frequent the heaths. This plan initially seemed to be a bad idea as I was driving deeper into the storm and had to sit it out in the car on arrival at Crooksbury Common. The weather improved but the walk around the heath was not that productive with Stonechat and a Tree Pipit the highlights in a twenty species haul.


By early evening it was time to move on to Thursley Common where I had spent many a year watching the species I was seeking. After a short wait at the Moat car-park the skies cleared and the wind disappeared leaving clear blue sunny skies which would provide perfect conditions for the evening bird quest.


Previous experience of this vast heath land was to play a part in locating the sought after species. It had been a few years since my last visit and looking around I couldn’t help but think something was missing but could not put my finger on what it was! 


I headed for the far side of Shrike Hill and waited for dusk and for the churring of Nightjar to begin. The first bird I heard was at 2145hrs watching it take a short flight coming to rest on a low branch. My binoculars are excellent in low light and I marveled at this amazing bird and the only species of Nightjar to visit our shores. By the time the light had faded I heard three birds with views of one.


I did not hear or see any Woodcock but I may have left the area too early. 

The mystery of what was missing was also solved with a small monument situated at the base of Shrike Hill.
This was a day of two halves weather wise. Today I will be off to support the London Broncos who face table topping St Helens at the Trailfinders Sports Club. The Broncos will be fresh after a week rest having been knocked out of the Challenge Cup by Halifax! Will this be enough for bottom to beat top in the Rugby Super League! Fingers crossed the Lionesses v Scotland Women's World Cup match will be on in the bar after the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment