Friday 3 January 2020

London Wetland Centre - A Day with The Ducks!


My first excursion of the year was long overdue so I took the relatively easy thirty minute drive to the London Wetland Centre which is living up to its name due to its managed habitat. I have certainly had good value from my membership which is a must if you plan to visit several times a year.

In 2019 the reserve produced my long awaited Surrey SVC 17 Wryneck and has past records of Stone Curlew which is the next on my Surrey Vice County wish-list! But today was all about the Wildfowl. I have always been particularly partial to ducks which incidentally used to create great amusement amongst the residents of the Para La Tierra house when I lived at Laguna Blanca in Paraguay. But that is a story for another time!
Now back to the ducks and there were plenty of wild birds scattered about the reserve. The grazing marsh was flooded with a bird hiding behind every clump of grass! My bird of the day which was not a duck came from this area. I spied a Water Pipit here early afternoon giving clear views to the folk that queued at my scope to have a look as it traversed the water’s edge.
I was not able to find the female Goldeneye despite a thorough search of the vast body of water. Listening to the talk in the hide the Bittern were not playing ball either for the paying public! Both species had been seen prior to opening.
Despite the lack of a sea duck I was content, no racing around and periods of relative peace and quiet to lose myself in the surroundings. Both the Peregrine performed well scattering the Lapwing on several occasions. I counted over fifty birds.
I can’t recall seeing Shelduck last year in the county but there was three including a pair. 
The usual winter suspects were all present, Pochard, Tufted, Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon and of course the ever present Mallard.
(Staines Moor 22/04/2006 - Bluethroat)

A couple of Cetti’s Warbler was heard in areas of tree/shrub lined reed-beds. I missed the last Bluethroat at the reserve and the Beddington birds were pre key days. It must be only a matter of time before another bird passes through the reserve!
Pintail was the last of the ducks to appear on the Lagoon a pair was feeding in the margins near an island. This was my only phone scope shot of the day!
Not a bad day with 43 species recorded with some common passerines missing. I think I would have added a few more species had I made it over to the Wildside area of the reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment