Friday 24 January 2020

Thundry Meadow - A Day With The Birds Part II


Thundry Meadow is a personal favourite of mine which is maintained by the Surrey Wildlife Trust. I have spent many a day during spring at this site but have not visited during the winter period.  The site is dissected by the River Wey and features include open meadows, woodland and quaking mire which I have learnt is floating vegetation on liquid peat!


The river was fairly high and the surrounding meadows were sodden under foot. I was expecting to flush a Snipe at some point but this did not happen. Several Mandarin were using the river but they turned tail as soon as I came into view. A pair flew onto the river nearby but they did not stick around for long!


A Reed Bunting was seen behind a small patch of reed-bed on a bend in the river. 


Stonechat was also noted in the same area. Both followed me around the bend I guess to ensure I had left the area!


Geese were represented with Canada a couple of fly over Greylag and a pair of Egyptian that were on the far bank on the edge of a field.

There were plenty of Pheasant in the area most of which were males.
Cattle are a part of the gate controlled grazing in the area which keeps the grass low. This individual took to staring me out acting as security guard for the rest of the small herd.

I spent a couple of very quick hours on site before it was time to leave for Papercourt Water Meadows where I hoped to connect with my favourite family of birds…..

No comments:

Post a Comment