Friday 24 January 2020

Papercourt Water Meadows - A Day With The Birds Part III

The last stop of the day at Papercourt Water Meadow for me was the highlight of the day and the chance to see owls. I had not realized how flooded the area was with water almost welly high in some places. But the conditions were to work in my favour but were a harsher reality for the pair of Barn Owl who were out well before dusk hunting for a meal.

The flooding had obviously pushed their food source to drier areas which were closer to the entry gate near the road. I was negotiating the swamp when a Barn owl appeared in front of me wow I was not expecting that! It is usually a considerably hike to reach the area where the owls are seen and much closer to dusk.
It turned out there were two birds quartering the area. The first and larger of the two I found resting on a post.
The second bird was further down the track where I joined John who had far superior camera equipment to my 300mm lens. I stood in awe as both birds took turns appearing and dropping down on potential prey. It was just a shame I could not get better shots of these graceful birds.
The site does hold Short Eared Owl during most winters but I stayed as long as the light allowed for a safe return trip without success. No Tawny or Little Owl heard but again I probably left too early!

What an amazing end to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment