Friday 24 January 2020

Thursley Common - A Day With The Birds Part I


Today was reserved for the birds. I did not rise with them but got myself into gear soon after and headed to my first stop of the day Thursley Common. The common is pretty quiet at this time of year but the weather conditions were ideal with low cloud and no wind therefore bird song could easily be pin-pointed. I didn’t expect too much with regard to movement overhead but kept an eye on the sky just in case.
I travelled light so that I could cover a large area in the few hours I spent listening for groups of birds. I heard several Dartford Warbler’s on the heath which suggests they have made a good recovery in this area over the last few years since the fire.
Stonechat was fewer in number but was as easily located popping up on the tops of clumps of heath. Water levels were generally high particularly on Pudmore Pond. I returned to the car park for lunch and then made my way to my second chosen site Thundry Meadow…..

No comments:

Post a Comment