Friday 17 January 2020

Puttenham Common - A Cut Above The Rest!


I ventured out to Canons Farm yesterday afternoon but the weather was so grim I didn’t even take my camera out of its bag. I logged 24 species before turning tail and heading home.

Today was much brighter with sunny spells so I took a jaunt down the A3 to Cut Mill Pond which is situated on Puttenham Common. This site can almost guarantee Goosander in the winter numbers visiting do however vary each year.
It did not take long to spot a pair at the far end of the main lake. Before photographing these birds I checked the smaller pond which is where I have seen small groups in previous winters. A Kingfisher took me by surprise as I was crossing the road between the ponds. It obviously had more pressing matters to deal with as it whizzed past me at a rate of knots!
I could not find any other Goosander but located a small group of Mandarin under the overhanging branches on the far bank. This species originates from the Far East and was introduced and kept in collections but now have a significant breeding population in Britain. (Birds of Surrey by J.Wheatley). They are always a welcome sight for me being part of the duck family, but despite the male’s colourful plumage can be tricky to find as “wild” birds are shy and skulk in overhanging vegetation on ponds and lakes. 
I took a walk around the lake negotiating the flooded footpaths in search of passerines the best of which was a Treecreeper that could be heard long before I found it climbing the trunk of a pine. I had to wait even longer for a photo opportunity.

I stopped off at Crooksbury Common but apart from territorial Robin’s you could hear a mouse f*rt on the windswept heath. I gave this up and made my way back to closer to home where I was unsuccessful in locating Firecrest.

Not a bad day considering the conditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment