Sunday 29 November 2020

Dorset - Nothe Fort - Stake-Out Nails Iceland Gull!

There has been an Iceland Gull that has frequented Porland and Weymouth Harbours over the last few days. I have been keeping an eye out for the bird on my travels around the harbour and have always been in the wrong area when the bird has been spotted! The bird does not stick around in the same area for long either making it even trickier to nail the bird which incidentally is a fairly rare white winger to frequent the county.

Having collated the information surrounding the birds movements I decided it was time for a stake out! I gathered enough supplies and warm gear to see me through the day and returned to Nothe Fort which is at the entrance to Weymouth Harbour. My arrival had been delayed by a Blackcap in a berry tree in my garden but conditions were bright and sunny good despite the glare!

I picked up the bird some way out from the harbour but due to the light could not be certain of the id and a couple of shots I took were almost sun blocked. I noticed a fishing boat heading into the harbour from near the breakwater with this gull joining it mid way. As the boat came closer the Gull dropped down out from behind the sun like a fighter pilot would stalking enemy aircraft and boom the Iceland Gull was in clear view and at close range.

The bird did sit on the sea for a few moments before doing a fly-past of the boats mast. 

The fisherman was oblivious to what was happening above him! The camera was in full swing until old Icy had disappeared up the harbour.

I did not see it fly out the harbour and put out the news. I was joined by Brett and Edmund (WeymouthBirder). The bird went missing for a good hour but I picked it up again on the far deck which was welcome news for the latter who had missed the bird a couple of times.

My impression in the field was a medium sized and overall pale bird unlike the biscuit brown of a juvenile. The bill had a black tip with pink base which had me thinking of a second winter bird but first winter birds can appear very pale with feather wear. The eye was dark and the patterning on the bird also seemed fairly even, consistent with a first winter bird!

The tricky bit was not with the bird but locating my Gulls of Europe Asia and North America by Olsen and Larsson. Now which box is it in! I have a kindle version but it is not the same as thumbing through pages when comparing print with photos!

There was also a couple of very obliging Great Northern Diver at the entrance.

A Razorbill was also surprisingly close in.

The local Turnstone was also in close attendance particularly when lunch came out the bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment