Sunday 15 November 2020

Dorset - Portland and Lodmoor RSPB - Red Necked Seeks Sanctuary!

Having been confined to barracks for a day due to torrential rain I saw the potential for a couple of hours out in the field today. The window was going to be a couple of hours worth with some sunshine thrown in which was a pleasant prospect! Then the skies would open up again and if Noah was around he would have been gathering the animals to board his ark!

I started off at Portland Bill to acclimatize to sea-watching in blustery conditions. I did have a Great Northern Diver fly by close in and plenty of Gannet and Guillemot that were further out. Being an inland birder I have not done much sea-watching and this was going to be a testing hour or so!

Having been battered by the wind I sought out more pleasant conditions at the woodland by Pennsylvania Castle. This area was more sheltered and the task was to try and find something out of the ordinary amongst the tit flocks that were doing circuits of the area. A Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackcap and a Chiffchaff were the best on offer today before the rain came in! I made it back to the car just in time and started tucking into lunch when I realized that the Red-necked Grebe was back at Lodmoor RSPB. With no time to wait I was off dinner was going to be on the go and the rain was hacking it down!

I opted for the shortest route to the shelter parking in the car-park at Lodmoor RSPB taking the short hop down the path to the shelter. I was the only one there on arrival which invoked a sinking feeling uh oh has it moved on again! I had been checking Portland Harbour on a regular basis looking for this bird with a complete failure rate. The bird had been at Lodmoor a couple of days earlier but I did not connect with the news!

Fortunately for me the bird popped up just to the left of me about mid-water. At last this species had been nailed for Dorset. I was joined by another birder and a couple of bazooka wielding local birders/photographers who added to the joy of the occasion with some light hearted comedy!

The bird must have sensed the deluge of rain that was to come and flew off up the valley heading towards Radipole Lake. Crikey I wish I had flown with it. When it rains here it does not mess about!

No comments:

Post a Comment