Thursday 19 November 2020

Dorset - Portland Harbour - Stake-out in the Harbour!

The weather has been very changeable over the last few days but today there was a change of wind and Mr Sunshine was going to make an appearance. To the Kojemobile before the weather changes its mind!

I decided to stake out Portland Harbour looking for divers and grebes and concentrated my search using the Rodwell Trail to cover the harbour. I bumped into Joe Stockwell (not that he was aware of this!) in the cove beyond Sandsfoot Castle! He did find a Red-Throated Diver and a Black Redstart at Smallmouth cove the latter I did manage to connect with during my time at the harbour.

There were numerous Red-breasted Mergansers in the area which I hoped might encourage the re-appearance of the Red-Throated Diver but it was not meant to be!

I did spy three Black-necked Grebes out from the small boat yard and took some dodgy scope assisted pictures of the group. The birds can be some way out beyond the grasps of even the largest bazooka lens!

Any attempts to secure pictures of the Black Redstart were dashed by a couple of territorial Stonechat which pounced every time the bird came to this side of the cove. A Robin even stood by to watch the home guard in action! It gave up in the end preferring to hang out on the rocks past Billy Winters!

I still have a long way to go before I master what habitat to cover during what period but I am gradually picking up the local terms for all these places which hopefully will pay dividends at some point! 

No comments:

Post a Comment