Saturday 21 November 2020

Dorset - Portland Harbour - Diving Around The Harbour!

I had another blitz on Poole Harbour today pacing along the Rodwell Trail with eyes firmly fixed on the harbor. The flying people were out in force today so I started further up the trail locating a Red-necked Grebe which was feeding off a group of Mergansers that had been pushed into an area off the boatyard / sailing club.

I have missed a Red-throated Diver a few times in my travels but I spied a bird just off Smallmouth Beach between some flying people. I had the camera at the ready and waited for it to re-surface once again in the same area.

I had a good chat with Charles a lifetime Portland birder who gave me some tips on covering the vast area. A Seal popped up in front of us and probably wondered “Who are you looking at!” I then made my way around to the East side of the Harbour and Portland Castle.

Portland Castle was built from Portland Stone by Henry VIII in the 1540s as part of a defense system to protect the area from invasion. It was originally armed with eleven pieces of artillery that would be used against enemy shipping.

I found a suitable spot out of the wind which incidentally had been battering me all day! A Black Redstart buzzed about the rocks in front of me as I searched for divers on this side of the harbor. A Black Throated Diver was the best offering with several Mergansers in tow. The pictures were terrible and I could have got closer shots from the leisure centre car-park!

Tomorrow the wind completely drops therefore there may be a better photo opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment