Sunday 8 November 2020

Dorset - Sandsfoot Castle - Dodging the Rain!

The plan was to spend the day on Portland but when I approached the cloud covered island decided to give it a miss. For a moment I felt like a migrant… The weather ahead is grim best I drop in on the edge have a feed and then move on when the skies are brighter!

This proved to be moderately costly with Red and Black Necked Grebes reported from Portland Harbour both species I have not seen in Dorset but I am certain there will be more. My staging post took me to Sandsfoot Castle and a walk around the Cove which borders Weymouth Harbour. There has been a landslide close to the road but the area still has plenty of trees and bushes to attract passing migrants.

There was plenty of regular species a Chiffchaff being the best of the bunch. Robin strategically lined the base of the scrub to fend off any potential intruders!

The bay was like a mill pond and there was also some movement across it. A Little Egret passed close by…

.. with a Grey Heron passing in the opposite direction a bit later on.

I am becoming moderately interested in Castles probably because there are so many in this neck of the woods so I walked up to the small site where Sandsfoot Castle ruins meet the cliff edge. 

The Castle was completed in 1539 on the order of King Henry VIII and provided defense for shipping along with Portland Castle. It housed around fifty men and had room for a large cannon and munitions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment