Tuesday 20 September 2016

Laguna Blanca - Shorebird downed by a storm!

19/09 - I managed to sleep through a storm that nearly bought the roof in according to my housemates. But these storms do tend to have a silver lining and more often than not force birds to suspend their journeys if only temporarily!

This morning was no different as I took a stroll along the lagoon and ventured through to the seasonal pond, A Snowy Egret, Great White Egret, an additional Pied-billed Grebe and Masked duck were the only species of note.

The return journey was a slightly different matter as a Lesser Yellowlegs landed on the lagoon edge just in front of me. I am not sure who was most surprised but both of us made a slow retreat before I secured the moment for the second record this year of this species.


The afternoon was spent nest checking with activity noted at two of my growing list of plots. A Great Kiskadee was on sentry duty at the latest addition. Southern Lapwing, Rufous Hornero, Thrush like Wren, Purplish Jay and prospecting Green Kingfisher make up the list. I am certain this list will grow as the housemates keeps their eyes peeled when they are in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment