Thursday 21 March 2013

Tidy Tinamou!


MARCH 20th
After a tropical storm which lasted most of the night all plans were put on hold at least until the rain subsided. The trickle of a stream near the beach was now in full flow with around a foot of water which was rising.
The rain eased for about an hour so I took my chance to check the Lagoon but could not re-locate the Stilts. However I saw a Streamer tailed Tyrant which was a life bird for me.
(Streamer-tailed Tyrant)
I made It back to base just before the heavens opened again thanks to my trusted pocket umbrella. A must if you are ever birding in tropical climes!

It was clearly going to be an indoor playtime today the rain just wasn’t going to let up but it was still 20C so not that uncomfortable! Helen kept the “restless kids” busy by giving a master-class on how to pin and catalogue moths!
(Moth Club)
I popped out this afternoon to check the Tatapau Tinamou nest cam and downloaded the clips of the bird on the nest.

This evening Vicky photographed a Paraque near the Urukurea trail whilst out froging with Helen. I was on moth light duty so took the short trip to see if I could add the species to my list. No such luck on that score but I did find a Little Nightjar!
(Little Nightjar)

No comments:

Post a Comment